Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day - A Musical Lament



I was talking to the Banker the other day about the shows and music that defined our generation. As he is 4 years older than I am , he had “Beverly Hills, 90210” as a show that defined his generation. What do I have? There are no shows that so defined a group of people growing up in the early 1990s.

And musically, we are screwed. I do not want to be known as the generation that had the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync as the most popular bands in the world. We don’t have a Jimi Hendrix or the Doors, or Janis Joplin (who I heard on my way in this morning, (Cry, Baby). We don’t have a figure or a sound that speaks for us or who we are. And that is sad.

Does this mean we are definition-less? Indescribable? Speechlessness inducing? Or just too annoying to put words to?

I guess I could just go on enjoying and claiming the music of the past. I am one of the few people I know who likes and can appreciate the musicality of James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Janis and Eric Clapton; as well as most of the music from the generation previous to that.


Oh, and happy May Day. It is a beautiful one here in the Middle. I NEED A MAYPOLE!


4 Comments:

At 9:49 AM , Blogger chinchilla said...

Dawson's Creek?

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Maybe...

 
At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice May pole. Love MOM

 
At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Seinfeld, Simpsons, REM, The Cure

The '90s were also the years in which the greatest POLITICIAN of my lifetime reigned as president, Bill Clinton.

Enjoy.
Z

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home