Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hallmark Sucks!


I was in the store today looking for a sympathy card for some friends of my family. Their daughter died and I wanted to let them know I was thinking about them.

But you know what, no card I looked at was right. I didn't want to mention god, death or loss. These are pretty hard parameters when you are dealing in sympathy cards. I just wanted to express something simple, something nice, nothing too depressing. But how do you say "sorry, your twenty-something daughter died?"

You can't really. I just feel bad for her little boy. How do you tell someone so small whose entire world is their mommy that you won't ever see her again? It's just not possible.

I found one that I think will work, but Hallmark needs to get on this. They need to make empathetic sympathy cards. Something that expresses feeling and meaning. Not just mindless words.

2 Comments:

At 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the body of your post is very empathetic. You could write it in a blank card and give it to them. With your gentle heart, pen and mind, you could start your own card business and maybe set a new standard for the Hallmark hacks.

M

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Thanks M.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home