Thursday, April 20, 2006

Les-be-nons

Yes, I have a gay sibling (We will call her B). I love her no less than when she was straight. If anything, I love and like her more because she is being true to herself and is way happier. She was a royal pain in the ass when she was in the closet. The thing is, I kind of always knew she was gay. The men she dated were never quite right, in the head and otherwise. My parent's reaction to her coming out, BTW was: "Oh, honey, we know." I have the coolest parents ever.

I have gone to PRIDE (big parade, festival-type thingy downtown) in B's stead (she had school that weekend). I would have gone anyway, it's fun. Lots of happy little families roaming the booths, PFLAG moms handing out trail mix. I bought some buttons, and a window hang for B for Christmas. There were a grand total of 4 protesters, but they couldn't be heard over the din.

B is slowly coming out to the fam. My dad's parents know, most of the cousins too. My mom's parents are older and very Christian so she is waiting on telling them, if she ever does, we think it might kill one or both of them.

She lives in San Francisco, with "her people" as I like to call them. She even has a gay-friendly church (called the "celebration") she goes to, which is freaky because she never went to church back home (Catholics are an oppressive bunch if you meet the wrong ones). She has a group of gay boyfriends that she hangs out with too, so she has a support system away from home.

No one has ever given me flak for having a gay sibling and I live in a red state. So much for labels, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home