Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Good Friday

It's good Friday and being the good lapsed Catholic that I am, I had to read someone else's blog to find that out.

When I was a kid, this was the week, church all the time, you pray to big rabbits and Jimmy Stewart hoping they will bring you eggs (yeah, I know. It's pagan and the movie Harvey).

We always got palms on Palm Sunday (there was more to this sentence, but apparently, I am a very bad lapsed Catholic and got my Lenten days mixed up, it was something about Ash Wednesday). One of my friends would twist the palm leaf into a cross for me (yes, this is what you learn in Sunday school, BEHOLD THE MYSTERIES OF RELIGION).

And in all my years of Catholicism, that is my one regret... I never learned how to make a palm cross.

That and the water into wine thing. I would have been so much more popular in high school if I had mastered that handy little trick.

PS - I never felt left out when kids would show up to school with their Ash Wednesday ashes still on their heads on Thursday (you aren't supposed to wash them off). I never went up there to get smeared with the ashes and oil, a little bit too orgiastic for me. And that means they didn't wash and that's just gross. So the church is promoting substandard personal hygiene. One of the many reasons I left organized religion.

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM , Blogger Merlicious said...

Water into beer would've made you even more popular. HEE HEE!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home