Monday, July 31, 2006

Elementary, my dear whoever

I figured out why the mom is getting all up on me to settle down (or live it up, depending on how you view my life). Apparently, 4 people I went to middle school with are pregnant and/or getting married. That is freaky. I haven't seen any of them since we were 13 (there was a bat mitzvah) and that is how I still see them. But no, they are 25, college educated, probably married to crew rowers from ivy league schools and work as investment bankers. Freaky.

I helped move the Littlest Sister this weekend. We (mom and I) went to her house on Friday night (cause what else would I be doing?) and packed up the room that all clothes go into to die. Seriously, all drawers, hampers, and closets had exploded in this room. Dishes were everywhere. I found underwear in every corner. Apparently she doesn't spend a lot of time there. It more of a staging area for getting ready for dates with the pseudo-boyfriend (he's a cutie) and doesn't have to be clean. Think "How Clean Is Your House" (sans the bugs and rodents, unless you count her ex who tried to be all fake helpful) and you will know what I mean.

But the move went well. Instead of her usual 3 weeks to get out of one location, it took us 1 day to pack, move and organize into the new place, which is a really cute studio. She is very excited about living on her own.

We came back on Saturday and I contemplated staying at mom and dad's (I was freakin' tired) but went home instead.

Sunday, I went to a couple of thrift stores (cause I'm cheap). I was looking for a chair for my bedroom since I loved the desk out. But then I realized, when would I sit in it? I do most of my reading in bed or in the living room so when would I actually sit in my bedroom to read. Never, why waste the money. So no chair... baking dishes. I needed a pizza pan and cookie sheets since I left my good ones with The Ass and he is in NY. I returned movies to Blockbuster. They have raised their prices to astronomical levels. I remember when they were completing with Hollywood Video and had 99 cent rentals, that was great. But they are having a clearance movie sale, I bought 5 for $25 (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Hellboy, Layercake, Kinsey, Wimbledon). I love movies and they may not be Academy Award winners, but they are fun. And I need fun.

Mom called me old this weekend for making a comment about LS's seemingly lack of underwear. I used to be the cool sister, what happened?

11 Comments:

At 2:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, don't be so hard on Mom. You were never the cool sister. However, our sweet Littlest Sis "drunk-called" me Friday night. I was asleep. It was 1:30 a.m. your time. I was confused about it mostly, but the message was nice.

 
At 2:16 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Not being hard on mom, just stating the facts for the world. Yeah, while we were packing her up (actually we were done), she went out and got liquored up. So much so, she threw up the next morning, which she told us about over breakfast. And I was cool at one point, sometime after I left for college, I think.

 
At 6:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now let's clear up a few issues hear. Mom is not hell bent on you getting hitched or attached. I just want you to be happy. It's not me that always brings up the fact that I wish I had someone to hang with. As you know, momma don't roll like that. I'm just following your lead because YOU want to be attached. Quit blaming me. I'm getting a complex.

 
At 9:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, mom I know you want to see me happy. I do too.

 
At 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And i need someone to be my scapegoat.

 
At 9:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about reverse psychology? Tell your mom about a hot new guy you met at the piercing parlor, and how you know it's love at first sight. Just play that role for a while, pretend to hear wedding bells, and make sure you discuss the first tattoo you'll get for your infant. If you sell it well enough, you may never have any kind of pressure again!

 
At 9:52 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

On some level, it's really sweet, you know? But, it would also be nice to have a throng of men just beaing down my door so i can tell her of my latest exploits like i used to.

 
At 10:37 AM , Blogger sheashedeed said...

Ahhh, patience my dearest! You will find the one you are to be with when you least expect it - have faith in that at least. And about the movie rentals, you should really try renting them at McD's, they are only 99 cents each and they have a good selection!

 
At 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a fool proof trick for getting the cattle that are men to fall for you. Tell them you're gay. For some reason, the hets fall all over you when you tell them you have absolutely no interest in them. I swear to God, I did not pay for one drink the whole time before I met Jenn. That is some SF LLS wisdom. It will work. Men are stupid.

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Yes they are, but in this good ol' red state, they would ask you to make out with the random girl next to you.

 
At 11:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not true. Try the experiment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home