Tuesday, March 20, 2007

BULLSHIT

I was watching Bullshit this weekend (the Penn and Teller show, good cable rocks). It was the abstinence show and I have some issues with the people on the program.

I am all about teaching young people about the consequences of sex. I think they should be given all the information before they can make such a big decision about their lives. Sex is a big deal and should be thought of as such.

Abstinence only programs are bullshit. Why, because studies have shown that kids are going to have sex no matter what you teach them about it. But kids who are taught abstinence only are less likely to use a condom. Which unless they are “sleeping with” (I toned down the word) a sterile virgin, opens them up to a host of problems or surprises. Including but not limited to STDs, STIs, pregnancy and death. Welcome to the real world.

They interviewed several (ok, 4) twenty-something virgins and they actually said that their first time was going to be magical and one even said they wouldn’t use a condom. I love people, they are so stupid. First of all, the first time is never good. No matter how many partners you’ve had, the first time with anyone is never earth-shattering. Secondly, use a fucking condom. Things happen. Diseases are caught, babies are made. Just because it’s your first time doesn’t make you immune. You’re not God (does God get laid?). Shit happens.

The people that call themselves experts on the subject of “teaching” young people about sex (or not, as in the case of the abstinence only fools) are morons. Sure, you can teach them to say no for as long as you want, but eventually they will have sex. It happens. You have to teach them to be safe. It’s like teaching your kids to look both ways before crossing the street. All parents should do it. I had sex-ed 5 times (mom, 5th grade, 8th grade, 10th grade and sophomore year). I think I have a pretty good handle on the whole deal, even though I am incredibly confused by the whole dating and waiting thing.

Also, and I am quoting my mother here, those who say they don’t masturbate are lying, (that means you little interviewees). I call bullshit on all of you!

3 Comments:

At 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got quite the head of steam going there. Just "simma down na ya hear!" why are you so upset. Although what you say is true and there are conflicting opinions about waiting for sex. It's so a personal choice. You do what you so and the rest of the world will revolve around what they do. Do you feel good about your sex choices? See you tomorrow for the dad fest. Love MOM

 
At 10:34 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Yes, I feel good about my choices fore they have led me to be the person I am. And welcome back. No one has been commenting since you left.

PS - I think it was the caffeine talking this morning.

 
At 12:13 AM , Blogger Michael Songero said...

I'm going to agree with BettyLou this time. The problem is that it hasn't been a matter of choice for a while, motherofbettylou. Look at the way Congress controlled funding to schools by only creating funds for abstinence-only programs. Me, I think we all need to talk about sex more. Look at the Bill Clinton days. Wasn't it nice when the biggest problems that the country had was trying to define exactly what a blowjob is?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home