Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Inner Dork

My inner dork came out the other day. I was talking to Daria, a co-worker and friend, and somehow comics came up. I confess, it's true, I like comics and graphic novels. They are fun. It's art and literature in one place, you gotta love that.

My favorites are Strangers in Paradise, Blue Monday, and Hopeless Savages. My last college roommate got me into them. They are all stories of the young and semi-angstful, but very fun, smart and well written and drawn. Often the writers and artists on the above mentioned share co-writing or illustrating credits on each other's comics. That gives them a sense of community, friendship and joy that you don't see in a lot of places.

I know what you are thinking. "How can such a cool girl, who I must assume is the cutest thing, like comics?" Well, I like to laugh, they make me laugh and that's pretty much it. The stories always intrigue me. And yes, I do get strange looks whenever I venture into a comics store, not many women go in there.

I have tried to get other people interested in the books, but they just have this preconceived notion that only pimply faced dweebs read them in their basements and won't even try one. I am sure if they would discover, as I did, that they are fun.

PS - There is also Barry Ween who I discovered after college. It's written by Judd Winick, who you might remember, was on The Real World, that useless heap of celluloid that used to be cool. Read this http://www.onipress.com/freecomic/barryween-1.pdf and you will understand why I can forgive him for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home