Monday, June 05, 2006

Post Script

Travis, loyal reader and rescuer in my hour of Missouri had some great points to say about "Government = Evil..." Here is an excerpt.

"By allowing same-sex marriages, the government is in no way condoning or condemning homosexual orientation or homosexual acts, meaning that both religious opponents and gay-rights activists stand on an irrelevant issue. The most accurate term for two members of like gender entering into civil marriage is "same-sex marriage." However, this does not mean the denial of same-sex marriage is non-discriminatory. If I, as a man, am free to marry someone we'll call Jennifer, whereas Christina is not, then the discrimination is of gender, rather than of sexual orientation. The simple fact is Christina is being denied the same opportunity that I enjoy, simply because she is a female."

-Timothy M. Vock

I like this Vock character. Unfortunate name, but good incite.

Trav wrote this to me:

The ban is 100% motivated by religion, which is unconstitutional. Marriage is a contract, not an institution, and not sacred. Anything that defines marriage as sacred is based in religious beliefs and has no place in government.

To which I wrote something about goats.

So form an opinion, make a choice and stamp this bill into the void.

3 Comments:

At 1:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Additionally, from the lesbian perspective, I have this to say: Since when does the Bible have any place in American law? Am I correct in saying that we have fought wars over subjects such as these? Also, doesn't the freedom of religion imply freedom FROM religion as well? Bottom line: who I sleep with has nothing to do with who I am as a person or a future parent. That is one small factor of who I am as an individual.

 
At 3:21 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

I love that intelligent people read my blog. Are you going to Canada with me (universal heathcare...curling...these are the things dreams are made of)?

 
At 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the compliment! Though I do wonder what you mean by the "unfortunate name" thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home