Thursday, June 01, 2006

Rents and Rants

The one thing I don't like about not living in a bigger city is the lack of rent control (Rent control refers to laws or ordinances that set price controls on residential housing. It functions as a price ceiling). This glorious institution was created to help people. I am people and I want the help. My apartment complex is trying to raise my rent.

They first sent me a little note saying my lease was almost up and that I should talk to the manager about renewing. They even tried to bribe me with a bag of candy that accompanied the note, sneaky bastards.

My new lease would up my monthly rent $70. Can you F-ing believe that? I mean, yes, I got in on a sweet deal, but 70 extra dollars a month? Seriously.

Then I went to talk to the manager a very sweet girl (or so I thought) named Jessica. The woman is a master of manipulation, talking about how she could only act on orders from God (the owner), that this was a competitive price in the area and that she could go as low as just charging me $40 extra. She's good.

But I am better. I actually went out a found a bigger place for less than what I am paying now. While the fit and finish isn't as great as what I have now and there is no W/D in the unit, I made her email God and say this is what other complexes are charging.

Then she pulled out the big guns. She got all stern and said it looked like I was going to not renew and she would put my apartment, my home, on the list of available spaces. She is good.

But then again, I am still better.

I hate moving. The pack and unpacking, the enlistment of large men to help you with the furniture. It's a hassle that I am willing to pay an extra $40 to avoid. I don't want to and I don't like it, but I will do it. Besides I had to move every 4 months when I was in college and I refuse to carry on the tradition by moving every year. Besides, I am going to buy a house next year anyway.

Although, the other place I found is closer to work and the bedroom is huge. Must contemplate.

There is no W/D. I can't move there.

3 Comments:

At 10:38 AM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

The market determined something lower, they are just greedy and know they can be because I need a place to live. I should have bought a house this year

 
At 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So buy a condo and quit bitching my dear Betty Lou. I read your blog religiously and you seem like a smart chick with ambition (and a wicked sense of humor). So think about the purchase of a nice condo near work and family.

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Thank you for your comment little sister. I was not bitching, I was explaining my experience with the evil that is property owners

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home