Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Film, Film, Film

I just watched AFI's 100 Year, 100 Cheers special. I love AFI, mostly because I love lists, but even more because I love film (and they always showcase the best films ever made). You get to relive the moments that made you love a movie or actor or genre in the first place and get to hear first hand from the people that made those movies why they are so special to all of us. I have watched all of AFI's specials and have chosen to watch movies based on those lists because they caught something in me and looked so interesting that I had to see them.

I have always been interested in film and even minored in it in college (if I knew for sure that I could make a living out of it, I would have majored in it). The minor gave me a chance, though, to watch great movies, read amazing essays (when I actually did the reading, of course) and write critically about something I love so much.

Looking over the lists, no matter what the topic, it's always the same movies and that says something. These film are so ingrained in our collective conscious and unconscious that no matter the subject, these are the films that instantly spring to mind.

Gone With the Wind....On the Waterfront....Casablanca....Cool Hand Luke....E.T....Forrest Gump...Shane....Apollo 13....High Noon....Lawrence of Arabia....Ben Hur....Rocky....

Everything you will need in life is in these movies. They are a compass to guide , to make us laugh, to make us cry and to make us hope.

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot... 10 things I hate about you...Napoleon dynomite...Finding nemo...How the grinch stole christmas...Back to the future 1,2,3...Planet of the apes1,2,3,4 just to name a few. But art as with movies is always in the eye of the beholder. What I like, you will certainly not like.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

I was naming movies off their lists. There are tons of movies I love that aren't on those lists, but they give a pretty good sampling. I love Nemo!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home